Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Learning and Teaching Social Media

I just joined facebook in December, but I started blogging in 2005 when I started my first blog, Tae Kwon Do Mom.

I have a Twitter account, but I don't use a cell phone.

(OK, I own a cell phone, a VERY basic pay-as-you-go Virgin Mobile

but I don't carry it around with me.)

I teach online writing in my journalism class, (here's our latest site!--check out their slideshows and the interactive map of "summer at Coe")

but I read the paper versions of the New York Times and the Gazette every day.I want my Rhetorical students to understand the rhetoric of the web . . . but I also make them read Plato, Aristotle, and Quintilian.So I guess I'm interested in this summer project because Web 2.0 is a big presence in my classes and in my life as a writer.

As you can tell, I use social media and enjoy it--but I also love old-fashioned paper stuff. Also, I'm not always crazy about the changes web 2.0 has brought.

I think having this approach makes non-natives better at thinking critically about web 2.0. We CAN teach digital natives a thing or 2.

4 comments:

  1. I like the ying-yang approach to your post.
    You mentioned being "not always crazy about the changes web 2.0 has brought". What are some of the changes you're not crazy about?

    One thing I sit on the fence about: eBooks. I recently got an iPad, and see how convenient it is to read a book on it (I have both iBook and the Kindle reader). I can click a word and get a definition if I need it. I can store TONS of books, which is nice when I'm on vacation or out and about. But I really like how a book feels in my hands. I also need the heaviness of a book falling on my chest to wake me up enough to take off my glasses when I fall asleep reading! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this would be an interesting introduction of yourself to your students! I agree with Lisa the ying-yang is an excellent approach to the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too spend a lot of time in front of a computer. I am not as "connected" as you since I have not tried Facebook or Twitter, yet. Where do you see Web 2.0 taking its place as a distributor of information? Do you think we will eventually stop hard copy media?

    I received a newsletter from Smart Classroom this morning saying that five K-12 and colleges had switched to the Kindle for all students. The Department of Education is against this because the technology is not available to students who are vision impaired.

    It will be interesting to see what the future brings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Lisa on the ebooks. I much prefer to read a hardcover book before I go to sleep at night instead of staring at the computer screen. I also like to write comments and doodle in the margins, and haven't figured out the same tactile response with the on-line versions.

    ReplyDelete