Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Becoming a wikipedia editor

13 Things blog suggested that we go to wikipedia and look up a topic we knew about:
look up a topic you have interest in or know something about (it can be anything...knitting, dog care, astronomy, Greek mythology...there are over 3 billion articles, you are sure to find at least one you are interested in or know something about). Do you have anything to add? If so, click "Edit" on the upper left hand side and add your knowledge.
So I went to . . . amigurumi, of course!

The entry was quite short. . . I wondered what would bulk it up. One could write about the best type of yarn to use (cheap acrylic is best), or about the eye/mouth placement (low on the face for highest Kawaii quotient).

Of course, one could even write about Kawaii--cuteness in Japanese. 可愛い

(The amigurumi entry is linked with the "cuteness" Kawaii entry . . . )

But I noticed that each statement had a footnote. I wondered if one could add statements without footnotes. I mean, using cheap acrylic yarn is . . . common knowledge to those of us who make amigurumi. The mighty "F" hook is always used with worsted-weight cheap yarn--everyone knows that. But is that OK in wikipedia? I've noticed recently lots of "citation needed for this" notes in the entries.

And maybe these details are too technical.

I liked that the amigurumi entry noted that amigurumi "have no practical use." Or, as I always say, they are "totally useless items."

No comments:

Post a Comment