Thursday, June 24, 2010

Being a follower

OK, I've had fun looking at colleagues' blogs and opting to "follow" them. I hope I get some followers as well.

I've found that recently, I've been dividing up my social media writing energy. Basically, I use 4 social media sites:

Facebook--for quick checks on friends and acquaintances (Jane Claspy Nesmith--friend me!)
Nesmith Family Blog--for sharing longer "essaylets" about things that I'm interested in or things my family does
Twitter--for short outburts/soundbites about my life (I'm @jcnesmith)
Ravelry--for musings, questions, and lists pertaining to my crochet projects. (Again, jcnesmith on ravelry)

I don't want to spend TOO much time staring at a screen (and as a freelance writer, I have to use the computer for work, too), so I'm finding that my posts on our family blog have become less frequent.

Does anyone else sometimes feel like their life is being swallowed by Web 2.0?

p.s. thanx for the reminder to add tags! I often intend to do this, but I forget.

2 comments:

  1. I appreciate your comment about too much time spent staring at a screen. I, too, feel that sometimes all of this social media swallows me for an hour and then what have I accomplished? Maybe when I am able to navigate the system in a dexterous way, I will be able to cut my screen time in half.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also am concerned about so much time/energy devoted to staying-in-touch media. I am the only member of my family who does NOT have a blackberry/iphone, so I am not in touch to the extent everyone else is. But that is my purpose in keeping my cell phone - the old flip that only calls, takes pictures, and texts. Isn't that enough? (And, ps, what is the 'profile' that we have to select for our comment?!

    ReplyDelete