Tuesday, June 8, 2010

In the clouds!

I enjoyed thinking about Web 2.0 apps I use this week. There's one other I just found out about this year--from Lisa--it's Piknik, which allows you to edit photos very easily. My students in journalism used it for our web stories.

As for Google Docs, I'm not crazy about it. It does something funny to the formatting, which is often an important part of documents I'm working on (syllabi, etc). Also, until recently, I guess, it didn't want to upload docx files. It seems to do that now.

But I am going to use it today! I started on an assignment for a fall class yesterday at Coe, and will work on it from home today.

As for the other apps, ScribD was interesting. Nice that the site allows users to categorize the docs so that other like-minded writers/readers can find it. But probably they don't, unless they're looking for it, or it's somehow viral.

Like most of the rest of the web, there's no editor, so anything can get published--a good and bad thing. I like the idea that you can use it for civic participation like the city of Marion did.

I couldn't get logged on to Zoho with my Google account, so didn't get to explore that one too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment