Monday, December 20, 2010

12th day: Doing good on the Web!


I'm especially intrigued by the Kiva website. I like that the money is loaned rather than straight charity. Not that I'm against charity, but I like the idea of the money being used to help a business venture, something that can help sustain people for a long time. It's the "teach a person to fish" rather than "give a person a fish" idea.

I've done the Hunger Site clicking before, too, but because there's so little investment from me, I just ended up forgetting about it! I guess I should put a reminder on my computer.

What are the ethical considerations to promoting these in a class? I don't think I would feel comfortable doing it as I remember being a poor college student. I would have felt bad if a college prof encouraged me to lend $25 when I didn't really have that kind of money even to part with for a while! Still, it might be interesting to discuss the way they persuade their audiences.


No comments:

Post a Comment