Friday, July 2, 2010

Flickr or Picasa?

Sometimes Web 2.0 seems a bit overwhelming. As of now, I have 3 active blogs (and 2 non-active ones), I'm a member of facebook and ravelry, I have a YouTube account, and I occasionally send out a tweet. So when I saw the new "thing" required me to join TWO MORE web 2.0 sites, Yahoo and Flickr, I was a bit hesitant.

I was particularly hesitant because I already have photo albums on another photo-sharing site, Picasa.

In fact, if you've ever posted any pictures on Blogger by clicking on the little photo icon, you have photo albums, too.

I found this out a year or so ago, when I was looking for some photos I'd deleted from my camera. I found out they were alive and well in a Picasa Album! Blogger put them into a Picasa Album without me doing anything!

So I have one album for each blog except for Taekwondomom, which I can't seem to add to anymore, either (I last posted in June 2007). Could be I changed my password since then!

But I do have albums from:
Nesmith Family Blog, which includes this photo of no-knead bread.

And Jane's Journalism Blog, which I kept in spring of 2009. This was my visual for a "backpack journalist."

I even have a photo album of just random stuff. What is that yarn thing on the signpost? :-)


Unfortunately, with these sites is that you can't just easily grab a photo and insert it into a post you're already writing. If you click on "Post on Blogger" it creates a whole new blog post. So what's the point of uploading your photos to them if you're just going to share the photos on your blog anyway? I suppose for photo storage . . .

What I do with photos when blogging is just upload them from my camera into the blog post. You click on the little photo icon at the top of the blogger frame. Find your picture and upload it.

Blogger puts your pictures at the top of your post, in reverse order, but you can move them around. And Picasa will save every last one of them in a web album without you having to do that separately.

On Picasa, you can type in captions, etc. and share them with friends. You can also add a map, so people know that the yarntag is located at 4th Avenue SW between 1st and 2nd street. So if you want to add additional stuff, or to send to people who don't read your blog, or send albums of photos that don't make it onto your blog, you're cool.

So, am I missing out on any cool aspects of Flickr by not joining?

No comments:

Post a Comment