Saturday, July 3, 2010

I tweet

I got a twitter account this winter, so I could be hip, like my students. (They are PR majors, mostly.)

Turned out, none of them--none--had accounts. I was ahead of the "digital natives" once again.

I'm not crazy about twitter. It would be great for someone who has a mobile device--but I don't even use a cell phone (and don't want to). (Now an I-pad . . . that would be nice!)

But if I'm at my laptop, I might as well just post a short 140-character update on FB! And everyone I want to alert will be on it. Not many of my friends tweet.

So I did it for a while. It was nice to:
  • do a quick update when I didn't have time for a blog. For example, I tweeted about seeing 2 wild turkeys walking along 2nd Ave. SE near 17th street.
  • follow funny people like Steven Fry and The Onion (even a 140 character post from The Onion is enough to give you a lift!)
  • that's about it.
People I follow that others might enjoy
  • Steven Fry
  • The Onion
  • American Ballet Theatre (ballerinas tweet their day/performances--kinda fun.
  • Sarah Prineus, Iowa City YA author
  • Christopher Trappe, Gazette author who's ALSO FOLLOWING ME!

Not many people follow me. I have way more friends/followers on FB.

You can find me @jcnesmith.

I'll tweet a bit so you know I'm alive :-)

2 comments:

  1. I started tweeting about a 6 months ago. I do check out some of my favorites each day but probably only post about once a week. Even then it is usually political in nature not personal.

    I will now follow The Onion, thanks.

    I like following Rachel Maddow and Scott Simon at NPR.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got your Twitter feed on your blog - NICE!
    There are several Twitter apps for the iPad - I've tested Twitterific and Tweetdeck, and am sticking with Tweetdeck.

    ReplyDelete